Workshop on Advanced GD & T, per ASME Y14.5 – 2009
An industry expert at Hyderabad
Details of training:
Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing, GD&T is an international engineering language that is used on engineering drawings. It establishes a Cartesian coordinate system known as Datum Reference frame. All the dimensions and specifications are measured / referenced from this frame. GD&T uses several internationally recognized symbols with unique meaning to define products.
The latest American National standard on dimensioning and Tolerancing is ASME Y14.5 – 2009 standard. The chapters in the standard have been reorganized to present the foundational principles first and then build on the foundations. This reorganization has made the concepts much easier to read and understand.
- Engineers with basic understanding of GD&T
- Experienced Product design engineers, Product definition Engineers, Quality control Inspectors, Assembly engineers, Team & Project leads, and design managers.
- This workshop would help engineers to apply GD&T based on the design intent of the product. In depth understanding of inspection techniques.
- Test to understand the present skills of trainees in GD & T
- Taylor principle or Rule#1 or envelope principle
- Definition of material/feature and datum modifiers, RFS,MMC,LMC and RMB/LMB/MMB
- Selection of datums based on design intent/manufacturing/inspection requirements
- Datum simulator theoretical and physical, examples and simulation of datums.
- Partial datum features
- Tangent plane application
- Radius and controlled radius
- Application of statistical tolerance symbol
- Summary of all geometric symbols
- Animations of form tolerances and other concepts
- Inspection methods for all GD&T characters
- Fixed Fastener and application of projected tolerance
- Datum Targets and six degrees of freedom
- Zero tolerance and application (straightness - axis, orientation and position)
- Composite position and profile tolerances, PLTZF and FRTZF
- Use of Position and profile surface controls without datum referencing.
- Myths about profile tolerances
- Profile tol for size control and position for location
- Simultaneous and separate requirements
- Co-axial control applications, Concentricity, Position, run out and profile case studies
- Verification of position tolerances – by calculation
- Paper gauge concept
- Verification of positional tolerances – using paper gauge
- Functional dimensioning
- Functional gauge design
- Float and fixed fastener joints, calculation of positional tolerances.
- Virtual and resultant conditions, IB and OB calculations and applications
- MMB,LMB, RMB and translation concepts
- Verification of effect of datum modifiers - using paper gauge
- Comparison of ISO and ASME symbols
- Exercises throughout the work shop, over 25 nos
- Discussion on actual parts/prints brought by participants.
- Final tests on proficiency and application of GD & T